The Story Of Our Company
1884 – David Murray, Cabinet Maker, Upholsterer and Undertaker first offered funeral services to the people of Newcastle employing 17 people including David’s 6 sons and operated from 51 Hunter Street Newcastle, and after some years a second branch in Beaumont Street Hamilton. There was a furniture business as well as funeral business.
1914 — David Murray retired and the two businesses were separated. The furniture business was sold to David’s brother, James, while the family funeral business was retained by his son, James Murray. By now James Murray served Morisset and the Lake district via train and launch from Cockle Creek.
1926 — The business purchased its first motor hearse, a Chrysler.
1937 — The company joined the Australian Funeral Directors Association James Murray’s son David appointed Manager.
1946 — Duke and Duchess of Gloucester employed James Murray’s staff and cars during and official visit to Newcastle.